Deep Tissue Remedial Massage has particular success with long-standing back and compound injuries that have resisted previous treatment attempts. Once a serious injury is properly healed, further treatment is only needed if another injury is sustained.
Sportsmen and women attend regularly to ensure that unnoticeably small injuries are treated before they reduce performance and become debilitating. Recurrent injuries are injuries that have never been effectively treated.
Back pain is a common condition and statistics show that 1 in 5 people will visit their GP each year with back pain, and 80% of adults will experience back pain at some point in their lives.
There are basically two main classifications of back pain:
- specific back pain – pain that is associated with an underlying health condition or damage to the spine
- non-specific back pain – where the pain is not caused by serious damage or disease, but by sprains, muscle strains, minor injuries or a pinched or irritated nerve
Causes of specific back pain include:
- sciatica - a condition caused by a nerve in the back (the sciatic nerve) being irritated or compressed
- slipped disc - where one of the discs of the spine splits and the gel inside leaks out
- anklyosing spondylitis – a condition where the joints at the base of the spine become inflamed
Back pain is also classified according to how long the symptoms last. For example:
- acute back pain – the pain does not last longer than six weeks
- chronic back pain – the pain lasts for more than six weeks
Non specific back pain responds very well to the deep tissue massage techniques used in sport and remedial massage. The techniques used are designed to increase the flow of blood and lymph around the body, particularly in the injured areas. This enables the body to heal. It is often successful where other forms of treatment have failed.
Positive results are usually within 3 sessions and most patients feel an enormous improvement after the first session.
A recent injury, perhaps within weeks, will react and recover more quickly than a long-term injury, some up to 40 years. However they will all see improvement.
I see many people for regular deep tissue remedial massage in the form of maintenance treatment to ensure that the muscles, ligaments and tendons are kept in good health and prevent injuries from occurring as far as possible. These regular sessions ensure that they can continue to do their day job or their chosen sports and if they do become injured their recovery is quicker because we alter the treatment to suit them.
Please contact me to see how I can help you with your back pain. I am happy to discuss and offer any advice on whether you should seek massage or another more appropriate treatment. It is better to do something than leave it. I am a great believer in the fact that the body is not designed to be in pain, it does not like it and we suffer on many levels whilst we are in continued pain.
My numbers are 0208 372 2942 or 07887 865203 - please leave a message if you hear the answer machine/voice mail and I will return your call as soon as I have a break between clients, thank you.